Current:Home > StocksFrance completes military withdrawal from Niger, leaving a gap in the terror fight in the Sahel -Capitatum
France completes military withdrawal from Niger, leaving a gap in the terror fight in the Sahel
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 01:40:56
ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — France on Friday completed the withdrawal of its troops after they were asked to leave Niger by the country’s new junta, ending years of on-the-ground military support and raising concerns from analysts about a gap in the fight against jihadi violence across the Sahel region of Africa.
The last French military aircraft and troops departed Niger by the Dec. 22 deadline set by the junta which severed ties with Paris after the coup in July, the French Army General Staff told The Associated Press by email. France already announced this week that it would close its diplomatic mission in Niger for “an indefinite period.”
However, the country would continue to be involved in the Sahel — the vast expanse south of the Sahara Desert which has been a hot spot for violent extremism — although differently, President Emmanuel Macron said Thursday during a visit to a base in Jordan.
“I decided on some important reconfigurations,” Macron said. “We will continue to protect our interests over there but our armies won’t be as present permanently, will be less stationary and also less exposed,” he said.
Niger’s junta described the end of the military cooperation with France as the start of “a new era” for Nigeriens.
“Niger stands tall, and the security of our homeland will no longer depend on a foreign presence,” it said via X, formerly known as Twitter. “We are determined to meet the challenges before us, by consolidating our national military and strategic capabilities.”
But analysts say a vacuum will be created by the troops’ departure. It will “leave Niger and the entire Sahel worse off” in terms of overall counterterrorism efforts as Niger was seen as the last remaining Western partner in the decade-long fight against jihadi groups in the region, said Ryan Cummings, director of Africa-focused security consulting company Signal Risk.
Some 1,500 French troops were training and supporting the local military in Niger, which had been envisioned as the base for counterterrorism operations in the region after anti-French sentiment grew in Mali and Burkina Faso, both run by juntas that have also forced French troops out.
But after deposing Niger’s democratically elected President Mohamed Bazoum, the nation’s junta led by Gen. Abdourahmane Tchiani severed military relations with France and other European countries. Instead, he sought defense cooperation with Russia, whose private mercenary Wagner Group is already active in parts of Africa but faces an uncertain future there following the death of its leader, Yevgeny Prigozhin.
The withdrawal of foreign military missions is already affecting security in Niger, where the number of attacks has surged, according to Oluwole Ojewale with the Dakar-based Institute for Security Studies.
“The country has not demonstrated sufficient military capabilities to fill the vacuum created by the withdrawal. Strategic attacks are being launched by the various armed groups who now roam freely in the ungoverned spaces in the country and incidents have remained on the rise,” said Ojewale.
The junta in Niger has formed a security alliance with the military governments in Mali and Burkina Faso to coordinate counterterrorism operations across the Sahel.
However, much of the immediate impact of the departure of French troops would be felt in western Niger’s Tillabéri region which has been the hot spot for extremism in the country, said Ryan with Signal Risk consulting.
“Violent extremist organizations may utilize the vacuum created to exploit and expand their operations” in the Sahel, he said.
—-
Associated Press writer John Leicester in Paris contributed.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Houseboats catch fire on a lake popular with tourists, killing 3 in Indian-controlled Kashmir
- Acapulco’s recovery moves ahead in fits and starts after Hurricane Otis devastation
- Claire Holt Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby No. 3 With Husband Andrew Joblon
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Kelsea Ballerini and Chase Stokes Deserve an Award for Their Sweet Reaction to Her 2024 Grammy Nomination
- SEC, Big Ten showdowns headline the seven biggest games of Week 11 in college football
- U.S. arm of China mega-lender ICBC hit by ransomware attack
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Local election workers have been under siege since 2020. Now they face fentanyl-laced letters
Ranking
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Who’s running for president? See a rundown of the 2024 candidates
- Lake Tahoe ski resort worker killed in snowmobile accident during overnight snowmaking operations
- After a Last-Minute Challenge to New Loss and Damage Deal, U.S. Joins Global Consensus Ahead of COP28
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Hidden demon face lurking in 1789 painting uncovered by restorers
- 2024 Grammy nominations snub Pink, Sam Smith and K-pop. Who else got the cold shoulder?
- Columbia University suspends pro-Palestinian and Jewish student clubs
Recommendation
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Grammy Awards announce 2024 nominations. Here's a full list of the nominees.
Arab American comic Dina Hashem has a debut special — but the timing is 'tricky'
Hollywood actors union board votes to approve the deal with studios that ended the strike
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
A missile strike targets Kyiv as Russian train carriages derail due to ‘unauthorized interference’
John Stamos talks joining the Beach Boys and being SO. HANDSOME.
U.S. arm of China mega-lender ICBC hit by ransomware attack